This past Sunday-Tuesday, we had the incredible opportunity to be a host family for a couple kiddos with "Children of the World". These kids are part of a choir that travels around the country singing at churches, seeing the sights, meeting new friends, and changing lives one stop at a time for 10 months. I was a little nervous, being the somewhat anti-social SAHM that I am, but I honestly would do it again in the blink of an eye. These 2 boys (Jeremiah and Bernard) and "Auntie Justine" found a place in my heart that I can't shake. They changed me. I grew to love these strangers in less than 48 hours, and I can honestly say my world has been rocked. These precious boys were filled with hope and joy. They had the greatest smiles and the sweetest personalities. They were grateful for anything and everything, and the simplest things brought them the greatest joy. It opened my eyes beyond my little "Lynnhaven Drive" bubble, and made me realize how so many things I think matter in the life, simply do not. I would have taken these boys and adopted them right then and there if I could have. I am not sure what their lives look like in Uganda, but I know they do not have a mommy and/or a daddy, and that breaks my heart. One night they put on a little show for us and sang and danced to their songs they sing at the churches, and it broke my heart that they don't have parents who would be SO proud of them and would love to see them doing their performance. That's where I fell in love with these kids and my heart broke into pieces all at the same time. I don't know if adoption is in my future, but I do know I want more of this. I want more of kids that need love, and that taught me so much in being with them only one full day. I want to know God's love in a way beyond the comforts of Lubbock, Texas. I am so grateful for this opportunity we had through our church. I hope and pray we can see them again. Goodbyes are always sad, but not knowing if you'll ever get to see them again makes it even harder. I pray for these boys and Justine and I want so much for their lives. I love them!!!
Our boys had been SO excited about "their new friends from Africa" coming to visit. They finally got here Sunday afternoon and hit it off instantly. They played basketball with the other neighborhood boys, Jeremiah became a PRO at the Ripstick, Bernard loved Braidy's "Green Machine" bike, and we learned that they LOVED Tom and Jerry....which our boys love too....although to them it's the "Cat and the Mouse". Monday we took them to Blue Sky where Lulu treated us all to lunch. The boys loved the sandbox and their food was good too! That night we ordered pizza, they LOVED it, and then since they put on such an awesome show for us, we treated them to ice cream! (a little bribery never hurt anyone!) We had such a special time with them. We were all sad when Tuesday morning came and it was time for them to get back on the bus and head west. As soon as they left Braidy said "I miss my friends!" I do too, buddy, I do too! They called Quin, "Quinny Belly" the whole time and they just fell in love with him.
I have been praying that God would use this in someway. That I wouldn't just forget about it in a week or 2, but that somehow he would use this to do something in my life. It might look like being a host family more, or go on mission trips, or maybe one day look into adoption, I have no clue. But I want to do something, and not just go back to my bubble, pretending nothing ever happened. I want to see the world and love on the world. Bernard, Jeremiah and Justine, we love you and thank you for bringing joy, love and hope to our home.






1 comment:
That is beautiful, Mon. I agree with everything you said. What an honor to have been able to spend a little of our time with them also. They were each so special and touched my heart in their short time with y'all.
Post a Comment