Monday, February 13, 2012

Chi-town!

My sweet momma turns 60 in March, so we took her on a girl's trip to Chicago to celebrate just a little early! We flew in early on Thursday, February 2nd, and our fun started. We stayed on the "Magnificent Mile" which was awesome because almost everything was within walking distance. We only took a few cabs and those were mainly at night when it was dark and really cold. We definitely got our exercise while we were there!

The first day we ate at Pizza Due', which is famous for their deep dish pizza. And when I say "DEEP DISH" that's just what it was. It looked like a quiche, but with pizza sauce, cheesy goodness, and toppings. My stomach is growling just typing that! The lady suggested we ordered a medium (for 4 of us) and it wasn't very big, (only 6 slices) so we ordered salads, too. Mistake. One piece of that bad boy was MORE than enough. There is no way I could have eaten 2 pieces....I don't think I even finished one. We did luck out though, because supposedly this place ALWAYS has a line out the door, and by the time we flew in, checked into our hotel, and went out in search of lunch or dinner, or LINNER, it was about 3pm, so there was no one there. Score for us! After our awesome true Chicago style pizza, we went to TRader Joe's, a few other shops, including a 3 story Forever 21 (huge disappointment) and no lie (I'm a little embarrassed to say this) we were in our room for the night by 6pm. It felt like 10. We had traveled all day, and we were just worn out.


Day 2 consisted of a morning Starbucks (there was on in our hotel lobby....Score, again, for us!). We got ready, bundled up and went out to explore and find Millenium Park. We got there, saw the BEAN, took some pictures with Marilyn Monroe, and went looking for lunch (yes, food will be a main theme on this blog). We wanted a CHICAGO hot dog, but didn't find the place we were looking for....but we found a "WOW BAO", which after googling and Urban Spooning, and asking a few people that were there ordering, we decided it looked great...and it was! They had AWESOME dumplings, bao's, salads, it was delish. And we didn't feel stuffed, so we definitely had room for a cupcake at Magnolia Bakery. After that, we felt stuffed. But it was so worth it, you could taste the butter in the icing. YUM! We did a good deal of shopping...found an H&M (no disappointment there), a Nordstrom Rack (I was shopped OUT by then) and some other FUN shops! That night we had reservations at Tavern On Rush, and it was wonderful! Steaks and seafood. I had seared tuna, and it was amazing. After dinner, I had some kind of an allergic reaction because my throat and ears were itching, and then later my face and neck turned fire red and I got SO hot...strange, but it eventually went away.






Day 3, started the same as day 2....Starbucks, of course! We took a cab to Navy Pier, which was pretty neat...and pretty cold with it being right on the water. But for Chicago, it was fairly warm, considering they are usually below 0 at this time of year, it was mid 30's-40 everyday we were there. Score, for us...again! At the Navy Pier we rode the big ferris wheel which gave us a great view of the city. We shopped a little, but it was VERY touristy...but we still enjoyed it (since we were, in fact, tourists) and we were glad we saw it! After that, we found Portillo's which serves GREAT Chicago style hotdogs...they were tasty! Dill pickle, mustard, onion, pepper, celery salt...mmmm! After that we went to the "high end" shops (Tory Burch, David Yurman, etc) so it was just to look but it was still fun! I did find a Yurman watch I want to get Ryan....when I have $5300! ha!) It was pretty cold and windy, so we hit up Starbucks again, and shopped as we found our way back to our hotel...but not before we hit up Garrett's Popcorn...again. This place is heavenly. When you turn the corner and are about a block away, you can smell this sugary, buttery goodness. We brought some home, and mine didn't even last a week. It was SO good! We had dinner reservations at Trattoria 10, which was an Italian restraunt. It was good...not as great as Tavern, but still very good. I had asparagus ravioli, and I won the award for "Best Dish of the Night"...voted on by the 4 of us. Everyone's was good, though!





Day 4, we flew out around 3, so we had plenty of time to find a brunchy place...and we found YOLK. Tasty! Jess and I both ordered Crepes (I told you food was a main topic on this trip!) and they were HUGE but AMAZING! We actually boxed our leftovers up and found a homeless, hungry man to give them to (at least we hope he was homeless and hungry)! AFter we stuffed ourselves, it was time to head to the hotel for our shuttle. Sad our trip was over, but ready to get home and see our BOYS! All of them! I sure missed my babies, but they were in GREAT hands with daddy and Nena, who came in town to keep them on Thursday and Friday while Ryan was working, what an AMAZING "Nena" we have. So very blessed! I know she loved her time here with them...I know she was worn out afterwards though! And to my fabulous husband who had the house picked up and ALL the laundry done when I returned...thank you for letting me get away for a few days, and have some "ME" time...You're the best!

What a fun fun trip we had!!! Chicago was SO fun and had the best shopping ever...and I'm not even really a "shopper" so that says alot. We had a great time and I am so lucky to have 2 sisters and a momma who I love SO SO much!

No comments: