Saturday, May 18, 2013

Turning 30...the long (and LATE) version!

Yesterday Over 2 weeks ago, I crossed over into a new decade.....the 30's!!! I wasn't dreading it, not a big deal to me....although telling our sweet little college babysitter I was turning 30 and hearing it come out of my mouth was a little strange. Old.

The celebrations began on Monday, the day before my birthday. Ryan had been telling me he and I were going out to eat that night, and that some friends and family would be coming over on Tuesday night to have dinner and cake and celebrate. That all sounded great, minus the fact that I was going to have to spend much of my birthday cleaning my house for guests to come over later.

On Monday I told Ryan I wanted to go to BJ's Brewhouse (HELLO CREAM SODA!) for dinner and he said that was fine with him. When he got home from work, he said his customer who owns the Orlando's in town came into his office to sign some documents, and offered to buy my dinner, so now we were going to Orlando's. Don't get me wrong, I love Orlando's...but a) we go there fairly often, so it's not very special. b) a FREE dinner on my birthday? really? But I said that would be fine, but my suspicions began. Then I noticed a babysitter down at my sisters....but kinda thought maybe she was just working out. Anyways, when we got to Orlando's....SURPRISE!!! 10 of our best friends were there waiting for us! It was such a fun surprise (even though I really don't like surprises)...and we had a great time visiting and actually enjoying a nice dinner without 20 kids running around! My friends spoiled me rotten! Big points to the husband for coordinating such a special night with the people who mean the most to me!

Tuesday was my real birthday...and unfortunately started off with a headache that would not go away. (I'm blaming it on the 1/5 of the margarita swirl Danielle and I shared...lightweights). I spent the morning on the couch and watching Quin play baseball. Every few minutes he would say "Happy Birthday Mom!".  We picked Braidy up from school and headed to SugarBakers for lunch! It was great and all 800 boys that we had with us acted pretty good. Several people asked us how we were all related, if all boys were ours, and if the 2 in the carriers were boys too...yes, all boys. No girls.  And then about 1/2 way through lunch I noticed that our side of the restaurant was cleared out and the other side was full. Coincidence? nah! They actually did pretty good and were sweet! I did get a card from my mom and sisters that said to be at the SPA at 2pm. OK!

I get to the spa, put on my robe and slippers and go to the QUIET ROOM. I love the quiet room. It's my happy place. The lady comes to get me (keep in mind I have no clue what I'm doing, other than a pedi at 3) - so she starts saying how brave I am to get this done and after telling her it was actually a gift, she says "Well, are they mad at you?" So at this point I'm wondering what in the world my mom and sisters signed me up for! I get on the table and she does a body scrub. Sounds wonderful, hurts like the devil. She scrubbed and scrubbed until I was sure I was bleeding and had no skin left. When that was done the real torture began. There were 6 shower heads above me, I was on my stomach, and the water was on my back and legs....not my head thankfully. It started with hot water which was great, but then a minute later went to 60 degree freezing water. It literally took my breath away and I struggled to not scream. It only lasted 15-20 seconds, but those were LONG seconds. Then it went back to warm. Then a minute later back to cold....and over and over and over again. Through the cold cycles I had to count my breaths...I felt like I was in labor breathing through a contraction. Finally after several cycles of hot/cold I was done. I hope my lymphatic system is completely cleaned out now. She did say I might feel like I'm getting sick in the next couple of days, but not to worry. Um...ok. Do people really pay for this???

After that, I got dressed and sat in the quiet room some more, and then was taken back for the pedicure, which was HEAVENLY. The girl didn't even talk to me, which I was grateful for. Wasn't really in the mood for small talk since I still had the pounding headache. So she worked on my feet and I closed my eyes and enjoyed the pampering.

I got home, where mom was keeping the boys, and she asked if my headache was gone after the spa. I hated to tell her no, but NO! I told her what happened but tried not to make her feel bad, because I just figured that's what they signed me up for, not knowing it wasn't very fun! She said she thought they did the wrong treatment, because I was supposed to get the same thing we got for her last month, which was a body scrub, a soak in the bathtub and a massage. Defintely got the wrong thing! (NOTE: Woodhouse totally made it right and I went back the next week for the correct treatment! I was so glad they corrected it because I LOVE that place and didn't want to have to write them off for forever).

Now to dinner. We went to my mom's for dinner. Ryan got me a delicious cake from Nothing Bundt Cakes and it was amazing. Dinner was great! The boys all played nicely and the adults got to sit and visit. Wonderful time, wonderful company, wonderful dinner, wonderful cake, and wonderful gifts. Everyone spoiled me rotten. I got some fancy new TB shoes, a fancy new purse, a fancy beautiful necklace....I'm a fashionista now! But really, I am blessed beyond measure. Way more than I deserve. I'm so thankful for all of my family and friends who truly made my 30th the best day ever, despite feeling yucky and being tortured for an hour. It's a great story and really funny to tell now! I'll never forget it, that's for sure!

So far 30 is great! I have a feeling it's going to be a great decade for me!






1 comment:

Fortner Family said...

Happy birthday....welcome to the 30 club!!