I was given a very large dose of humility today. God really put me in my place, and I so deserved it.
Our lifehouse adopted a 4th grade class at Wheatley (our church adopts multiple schools to bless them with Christmas parties every year) but we were in charge of a 4th grade classroom. I was our "leader" since Ryan and I lead our lifehouses and I obviously have more time than him...and I was excited about it, then. So the week comes for our party and I am getting things in order. I have many people who will be at the party with me, and it will be smooth sailing. You might not know that I get SUPER anxious when I am responsible for organizing and pulling off something like this...or a birthday party, I just don't know why but I do not like it! So yesterday rolls around and the party is moved back an hour because of the weather and the chance that school might get delayed. So there goes about 1/2 of my volunteers because now the party runs into school letting out early and other's Christmas parties at different schools. So last night I threw myself a HUGE pity party, feeling so sorry for myself. I was not feeling well, I didn't feel like getting out of the house, much less throwing a stinkin' Christmas party for some kids I don't even know (I know, horribly selfish)....and on top of that, I might be all by myself in it all. How was I going to carry the huge box of stockings into the school? How was I going to get 5 bags of chocolate chips, melted, and into the chocolate fountain? What if the roads are bad? I'm going to have to get my kids out in the yucky weather, take them to childcare at the church, when all I wanted to do was stay in my warm house.
I guess overnight, the Lord worked on my heart. I woke up feeling better. I could breathe and my head wasn't pounding for the first time in a week. The weather was fine, cold, but fine. No worries about driving on the snow or ice. And guess what....I had 2 friends who would be there to help. Thank you Jesus. Michael helped me carry the big box and Krista was there ready to serve. And the best part was the kids. They truly ministered to us, especially me. They were SO thankful for every little thing we did for them. Even the silly peppermint candies we used for Bingo pieces. You would have thought we had given them a million dollars after we told them they could keep their candies. They LOVED the chocolate fountain, they seriously were in awe. I heard so many thank you's and please's. I was especially moved when they opened their gifts. They couldn't believe it. They loved every last candy, pair of gloves, socks, I even saw a little girl holding her pillow pet as if it were her most prized treasure. They were so grateful. One of the bingo winners (a boy) chose a little girl toy for his prize so he could give it to his sister for Christmas. Oh, these kids were so precious and appreciated what they were blessed with more than I could have hoped.
So, back to the Lord putting me in my place. I was so humbled to be a part of this, and to think I was dreading it and feeling sorry for myself just last night. I am incredibly selfish and sinful, yet the Lord used some sweet kids, who have little to nothing, to show me what Christmas and what life is all about. It is NOT about me. It is not about what I want or what I think I might need. It is about showing love and GIVING to others. I gave my time, money and energy to put the biggest smile on 15 precious kids faces, I'd say that was the best Christmas gift I could have asked for.
Thank you Lord for never giving up on me, and for showing me what life is all about. Thank you for loving me when I'm unlovable and forgiving me when I feel unforgivable. God's grace is the only gift I need or want. So thankful it's a guaranteed gift that I'm always given!
Grace, grace, God’s grace, Grace that is greater than all our sin.
Fresh Milled Flour Conversion Chart
9 months ago

3 comments:
Mon, We all need a dose of reality and humble pie this time of the year. Such a wonderful, yet, hard lesson you experienced. Christmas is so much more than Santa and gifts. Amazing how young children can even teach these lessons and remind us of the true meanings of Christmas. God used you at that party too! Love you!
I just got all choked up. Halfway through I was wishing you had just picked up the phone and said "Danielle I need you" but getting to the end I couldn't help but think what an amazing gift God gave you. I'm definitely put in my place on a daily basis - we all do things like that. The cool thing is that by blessing those kids God truly blessed you! I admire you a lot for posting that. I love you so much and I'm sorry it was a rough day but I'm so glad it turned out so wonderfully! You have a huge heart and are such a giving person! May God continue to bless you!!!
I try not to forget why we do all this - especially as I have a little boy to teach it all to! Loved, loved, loved your Christmas card!!
Post a Comment